AGX Update

AGXArcticMapPlannedCourse1610

Adrian is sailing north from Vardo in Norway, after leaving Murmansk at the weekend.

The course has been simplified.

Adrian sailed from Provideniya up to the icefield at Proliv Vil’kitskogo, shown as green dots. It was a reasonably straight course along the narrow strip of clear water between the Russian coast and the Arctic icefield, except for the section at the East Siberian Islands. There Adrian had to carefully scout for a route between the islands because the NSR was still ice covered and impassable. The course shown has been simplified in this area.

He then sailed back east from PVK towards Tiksi, looking for a mysterious island that was marked on the charts, with a note to say it might not be located there, and he found it was not there. He then sailed west again to the island Ostrov Peschanyy as his first holding position, awaiting news of ice melt at PVK. From there he sailed further west to Ostrov Preobrazheniya as his second holding position closer to PVK. From there he sailed to RV with a small convoy that hoped to pass through PVK behind an icebreaker, but conditions were considered unsuitable by the icebreaker’s captain. Adrian then sailed a figure 8 course along the ice while his shore team, AARI and Marine Operations Murmansk considered the possibility of taking a dangerous inshore channel through PVK. That complex set of courses has been ommitted from the map above because of the map scale.

Marine Operations HQ advised him to sail for Tiksi and take a ship lift through PVK. That course to Tiksi (yellow dot) is shown as orange dots.

From Tiksi, Adrian and Barrabas sailed aboard the Kapitan Danilkin along the course shown as blue dots. Conditions did not permit the relaunching of Barrabas at sea and she was relaunched in Murmansk harbour, shown as a magenta dot.

The distances have yet to be calculated, but the distance sailed from Provideniya to PVK and back to Tiksi is close to the distance from Provideniya to Murmansk.

With winter closing in, Adrian still has to round North Cape and then head south for home. He may have to make a number of stops to shelter from the weather on the way home and will not make the final decision on which side of the North Sea to sail until he reaches southern Norway and can study the weather forecasts at that point.

Leave a Reply